Limited Duration Sign Permits
When is a Limited Duration Sign Permit Required?
A limited duration sign permit is required for a non-permanent sign that is either displayed:
- on private property for more than 30 days, or
- within the public right-of-way on weekends only or for a 14-day period.
What are the Regulations that Apply to Limited Duration Signs?
- Limited duration signs on private property are subject to size, height, and location standards depending on the zoning classification.
- Limited duration signs in the public right-of-way are subject to size, height, and location restrictions. Applicants are limited to a maximum of four limited duration signs.
- Limited duration signs can only be erected on weekends or for fourteen consecutive days during any six-month period.
What is the Application Process?
A completed application and the following information must be submitted to DPS for review.
- a drawing of the area showing the proposed location of the sign in relation to nearby buildings and streets
- a scaled drawing of the sign
- written permission of the property owner, if the sign is erected on private property
|Sign Application||Sign Permit Application|
|Application Procedure||Procedure for Sign Permit|
|What if I need a Sign Variance?||Sign Variance Process|
|I need Information on Political Signs||Political Signs|
|What if the Sign is for a Non-Profit Organization?||Non-Profit Legislation|
|Fees and Taxes|
|Fee Schedules||Executive Regulation for Fees|
|Automation Enhancement Fee||Automation Enhancement Fee|
|Credit Card Authorization Form||DPS Credit Card Authorization Form|
|Codes, Standards, Executive Regulations|
|Montgomery County Code Section 59-F||Montgomery County Code|
|Frequently Asked Questions|
|311 Web Portal: Enter key word "Sign"||http://www3.montgomerycountymd.gov/311|
|Online Permitting Status Information and Inspections|
|Online Permit Status, Inspection Scheduling and Canceling||Search DPS|
|Call for More Information|
|In Montgomery County||311|
|Outside of Montgomery County||240-777-0311|
|Other Agencies to Contact|
|Other Agencies and Utilities to Contact||Board of Appeals|
|Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation|
|MNCPPC: MC Atlas|