Homeowner Electrical Work
When is a Homeonwer's Electrical Exam Permitted?
Owners of single-family detached dwellings who wish to perform their own electrical work in their own home may qualify to do so by passing an examination. In order to take the examination, the following criteria must be met:
- The property may not be located within the city limits of Rockville or Gaithersburg.
- The person taking the exam must be shown as the owner on the deed or be an immediate family member of the owner.
- The person taking the exam must be living in the home (not leasing it).
When is a Homeonwer's Electrical Exam NOT Permitted?
- When the work is to be done in homes that are not single-family detached dwellings (no condominiums, apartments or townhouses).
- When the work involves hot tubs, pools, spas, or any installation governed by Article 680 of the National Electrical Code.
When is the examination given?
Homeowner's examinations are administered by DPS every Tuesday and Thursday at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.. Because test space is limited, an appointment must be scheduled in advance by calling (240) 777-0311.
What is the Examination Process?
- The applicant completes and signs an electrical permit application.
- The applicant completes and signs a homeowner's affidavit.
- The applicant must provide a valid form of identification showing his/her address as the address where the work is to be done.
- If applicant's name does not appear on tax records, we would need a copy of the recorded deed.
- The owner must pass the examination.
- After passing the examination the owner must pay the fee for the electrical permit.
What is the Examination Based On?
The examination is based on the department's currently adopted edition of the National Electrical Code. The code book is provided to the applicant at the test site. No other materials belonging to the applicant may be used. The examination is specific to the type of electrical work to be done.
What is the Fee for the Examination?
The total fee to take the exam is $39.90. This includes a base fee of $38.00 plus a 5% automation fee of $1.90. The total fee to retake the exam after failing the initial exam is $32.55. This includes a base fee of $31.00 plus an automation fee of $1.55.
When will the Permit be Issued?
Electrical permits are usually issued on a while-you-wait basis.