Skip to main content

Building Construction-Demolition Permits

When Is A Demolition Permit Required?

A demolition permit is required when any building is being razed or removed in its entirety from a lot.

For structures 25 years and older (not single-family dwellings) which have demolition permits, DPS has a website that lists applications. For questions about a specific address, please check Demolition Application Information on the DPS website.

What is the Purpose?

The purpose of a demolition permit is to ensure that the lot is clear of debris and other health hazard material and that the utility connections have been plugged and sealed.

What is the Application Process?

Apply for a Demolition Permit and Sediment Control Permit (if you are disturbing 5,000 or more square feet) and pay the required fees.  A Right of Way Permit may be required if there is no construction entrance and in some cases for restoration of the existing driveway entrance.

Submit completed application (Please provide name of contact person) either by mail or in person to: Montgomery County, Department of Permitting Services, 255 Rockville Pike, 2nd Floor, Rockville, Maryland 20850-4166. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday thru Friday. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ SECTION 8.27 OF THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY CODE THAT DESCRIBES THE DEMOLITION AND REMOVAL OF BUILDINGS.

Obtain a bond in the same amount as the estimated cost of the demolition (minimum $400) and submit this as soon as possible.

There are four types of bonds:

  1. Performance Bond executed by the Insurance Company according to the forms provided by the County; which includes a Power-of-Attorney statement and a Certification form completed by the Clerk of the Circuit Court (must be attached).
  2. Letter of Credit executed by the bank, in the form provided by the County.
  3. Cash Bonds may be posted in the form of cash, check or money orders.
  4. Certificate of Guarantee obtainable by members of the Maryland Development of Guarantee Group (ONLY).

Provide a list of adjacent and confronting property owners names and address.

Cap any well(s) located on the property and submit a well completion report to our office (if applicable).

Contact the utility companies to request disconnections. Submit copies of disconnection letters to DPS. Faxed copies will be accepted.

Submit a signed affidavit from a company licensed by the state of Maryland, Department of Agriculture, licensed under the category of Industrial, Institutional, Structural and Health Related (Rodents), stating that the property has been inspected and is free of any rodents or other pests.

Remove any asbestos in accordance with the Maryland Department of the Environment regulations PRIOR to demolition. For more information call 1-800-633-6101.

All construction/demolition companies and contractors performing work in Montgomery County are required to have recycling collection services at each project site and must recycle mixed paper (such as corrugated cardboard, office paper, newspaper and all other clean dry paper), commingled materials (aluminum cans and foil products, bi-metal cans, glass bottles and jars and plastic narrow-neck bottles), yard trim, Christmas trees and scrap metal items. Containers for recyclable materials must be clearly labeled to indicate the materials that are to be placed in that container and recycling containers must be placed next to refuse containers. For more information about the County is recycling requirements, call the Division of Solid Waste Services at 240-777-6400.

The Builders Recycling Guide

After the Permit is Issued:

Demolish the building(s) and clean up the lot.

Arrange for inspection by calling 311 or, if outside Montgomery County, 240-777-0311 between 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday thru Friday.



Application Package
Application for Demolition Residential Application for Residential Demolition
Application for Commercial Demolition Application for Commercial Demolition
Information & Resources for Neighbors and Contractors Information on Demo In Your Neighborhood
Sample of Required Pest Control Letter Sample Pest Control Letter
Sediment Control Permit Application Sediment Control Application
Right of Way Permit Application Public Right Of Way Permit Application
Fees and Taxes
Demolition Fees Permit Demolition Fees
Automation Enhancement Fee Automation Enhancement Fee
Sediment Control Permit Fees (See Page 4) Sediment Control Fees
Right of Way Permit Fees Public Right of Way Permit Fees
Bond Information Bond Information
Letter of Credit Letter Of Credit
Performance Bond Performance Bond
Codes and Standards
Montgomery County Code chapter 8-27 Montgomery County Code - See Section 8-27
Inspection Requirements
Construction Noise Noise Control
Online Permitting Status Information and Inspections
Online Permit Status, Inspection Scheduling and Canceling Search DPS
Contact DPS
Demolition Questions 311 or, if calling from outside of Montgomery County, 240-777-0311
Other Agencies to Contact
Other Agencies and Utilities to Contact PEPCO
  Historical Preservation
  Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. (BG&E)
  Allegheny Power
  Washington Gas Light Co.
  M-NCPPC:Historic Area Work Permits
  Miss Utility
Special Notice for Buildings 25 Years and Older
Buildings (not single family dwellings) 25 years old Demolition Applications Demolition Application Information