Skip to main content


Ordinary repairs to buildings may be made without application or notice to the department; but such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or bearing support or the removal or change of any required means of egress or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the exitway requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.

Not withstanding ordinary repairs or renovations, restoration or repair to a building necessitated by damage from fire, storm, flood or earthquake requires at a minimum, submission of a "Scope of Work" describing the nature and extent of the work being done.

What is the Residential Walk Thru/Fast Track Permit Process?

This process was developed to obtain building permits for eligible projects while you wait. If the application meets these guidelines and all applicable legislation, in most cases, you will leave with the permit after a single visit in a timely manner. If the application cannot be completely processed, it will be returned to your team with partial approvals. If the application is for a complex design, structural modifications, or unusual design, it will require extensive reviews. Therefore, the application will be taken in for regular review process. Applications must be on the Residential Walk-Thru Fast Track Queue before 2:30 PM - otherwise applications may not be reviewed by the building plan reviewers while you wait and applications would be taken in for regular review process.  

Application Package
Building Permit Application Application for Residential Building Permit
Electrical Permit Application Application for Electrical Permit
Residential Building Permit Application-Check "Demolish" Box Application for Residential Demolition Permit
Permit and Installation Guidelines Guideline for Shed Permits
Demolition Application Notice Demolition Application Notice
Maryland Roadside Tree Law Affidavit for Roadside Trees
Zoning Guidelines Corner Lot Setback Requirements
Fees and Taxes
Executive Regulations Regarding Permit Fees Executive Regulations for Fees
Automation Enhancement Fee Automation Enhancement Fee
Credit Card Authorization Form Credit Card Authorization Form
No Bonds Required for Building Permit Bond Information
Codes, Standards, Executive Regulations
Chapter 8 - Montgomery County Code Montgomery County Code
Guidelines, Memorandum of Understandings, Interpretations
Home Improvement FAQ's (English) Home Improvements
Respuestas a las preguntas más frecuentes Home Improvements
What and When Inspections Are Required Residential Inspections Timing Checklist
Buildings Notice of Required Building Inspections
Decks Notice of Required Deck Inspections
Third Party Third Party Inspections
Scheduling Residential Inspections Page
Frequently Asked Questions
311 Web Portal Knowledge Base: Enter key word "Shed"
Online Permitting Status Information and Inspections
Online Data Search-Address Search From Home Page Search DPS
Call for More Information
In Montgomery County 311
Outside of Montgomery County 240-777-0311
Other Agencies to Contact
Other Agencies and Utilities to Contact Allegheny Power
  American Institute of Architects (AIA)
  American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
  American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
  Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. (BG&E)
  Board of Appeals
  Historical Preservation
  International Code Council (ICC)
  Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation
  Maryland Department of the Environment
  Maryland Division of State Documents
  Masonry Institute of America (MIA)
  Miss Utility
  National Glass Association (NGA)
  MNCPPC: Historic Area Work Permits
  MNCPPC: MC Atlas
  MNCPPC: Zoning
  National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
  Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO)
  U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
  Washington Gas Light Co.