Skip to main content

Sign Permits

When is a Sign Permit Neccesary?

A sign permit for a permanent sign is required before any exterior sign, as defined by the Montgomery County Zoning Ordinance, may be erected in the county. This requirement applies to all types of signs, including free standing, wall-mounted, and marquee signs. Illuminated signs require both sign and electrical permits.

What is the Application Process?

The applicant may complete a sign permit application using DPS' ePermits (Apply Online) and provide electronic copies of plans and supporting information using ePlans (ProjectDox). The minimum filing fee must be paid, using Apply Online prior to plan review taking place. ePermits and ePlans account may be created by emailing or by calling 240-777-0311

Sign permit applications are reviewed by DPS zoning staff.  After staff approval, a sign permit is issued along with a sign tag that is to be attached to the sign itself. The following information is necessary to process the permit application:

  • size (area) and dimension of the sign
  • location of the sign on the property or building (site plan required)
  • copy of the sign text
  • photographs of the property indicating where the sign is to be located.

What are the Permit Fees?

The total fee for each sign located  is $309.00. 

When processing two (2) or more signs requiring electrical permits a cost of $92.70 per sign is required.


The total fee for each SIGN VARIANCE application is $612.85 


The total fee for each Concept Plan is $1333.85. 


How Long is a Sign Permit Vaild?

A sign permit for a permanent sign is valid for the life of the sign, if the sign remains in location approved with the permit

Application Package
Sign Permit Application Online  Link to ePermits (Apply Online)
Sign Application Sign Permit Application
Sign Variance
What if I need a Sign Variance? Sign Variance Process
Sign Variance Application Sign Variance Application
Sign Variance Checklist Sign Variance Procedure Checklist
Specialty Signs
What if the Sign is for a Non-Profit Organization? Non-Profit Legislation
Sign Review Board Agenda 2018 Hearing Schedule
Fees and Taxes
Fee Schedules Executive Regulation for Fees
Credit Card Authorization Form Credit Card Authorization
Codes, Standards, Executive Regulations
Montgomery County Code Chapter 59-F Montgomery County Code
Frequently Asked Questions
311 Web Portal: Enter key word "Sign"
Online Permitting Status Information and Inspections
Online Permit Status, Inspection Scheduling and Canceling Search DPS
Call for More Information
In Montgomery County 311
Outside of Montgomery County 240-777-0311
Other Agencies to Contact
Other Agencies and Utilities to Contact Board of Appeals
  Historical Society
  Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation
  Miss Utility
  MNCPPC: MC Atlas
  MNCPPC: Zoning