Skip to main content

Homeowner Information 

Below are documents that are frequently requested and which are applicable to homeowners about the rules and regulations enforced by the Department of Permitting Services.  

  1. Drainage on Private Property

  2. Home Improvements   (Español) 

  3. Parking Motor Vehicles on Your Residential Property   

  4. Portable Storage Containers in the Right of Way

  5. Trees in the Right of Way  (Español)

  6.  Trees on Private Property  (Español)   

  7. Home Owner Electrical Permit - Home Owner Electrical Exam  

When is a Permit Required?

Ordinary repairs to buildings may be made without application or notice to the department; but such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or bearing support or the removal or change of any required means of egress or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the exitway requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.

Not withstanding ordinary repairs or renovations, restoration or repair to a building necessitated by damage from fire, storm, flood or earthquake requires at a minimum submission of a "Scope of Work" describing the nature and extent of the work being done.

Permits may be needed if homeowners perform repairs on their home or repair or replace their fence or roof.  To ensure that improvements meet the applicable building codes and safety of installed equipment, permits are required and inspection conducted to ensure work was done adequately.

Permits are required in many instances.

Sheds, decks, patio covers, carports, fences, re-roof work, and room enclosures and additions must also meet the minium standards.  Additionally, these types of structures must be placed so that they do not encroach into the required minimum setbacks and the maximum lot coverage. It is best to speak with a Permit Technician before embarking on this type of project . For information or to speak with a Permit Technician please call 311 or (240-777-0311 if outside Montgomery County)

I have done some home improvements without permits - will this affect me down the road?

Even if you have performed home improvements which require permits and inspections it is not the end of the world. Failing to obtain the necessary permits and inspections can have negative results. Your insurance carrier may deny any claims

What is the Residential Walk Thru/Fast Track Permit Process?

This process was developed to obtain building permits for eligible projects while you wait. If the application meets these guidelines and all applicable legislation, in most cases, you will leave with the permit after a single visit in a timely manner. If the application cannot be completely processed, it will be returned to your team with partial approvals. If the application is for a complex design, structural modifications, or unusual design, it will require extensive reviews. Therefore, the application will be taken in for regular review process. Applications must be on the Residential Walk-Thru Fast Track Queue before 2:30 PM - otherwise applications may not be reviewed by the building plan reviewers while you wait and applications would be taken in for regular review process.