Skip to main content

Forest Harvest

When is a Forest Harvest Permit Required?

Forest Harvest Permits are needed for logging and timber removal operations that occur on a property. The Sediment Control Plans for forest harvest area must remain as woodland - No change in land use nor new development is to be proposed.

What is the Application Process?

Each application for a Forest Harvest Sediment Control permit must be accompanied by:


What are the Conditions of Approval?

A permit will be issued when all appropriate fees have been paid, necessary bonds posted, and plans have been approved by the Department. In granting the permit, the Department may attach conditions that the Department deems reasonably necessary to prevent offsite sedimentation and the degradation of streams and other waterways. These conditions must be identified on the approved plans. The permittee must certify that all land disturbing activities will be performed pursuant to the approved plans.

Sediment Control permits must not conflict with conditions shown on approved subdivision plans, development plans, forest conservation plans, or site plans.

What are the Sediment Control Permit Fees?

Forest Harvest Activities - Please see the Schedule of Fees for Permits Licenses and Inspections - Method 3 . The FY17 Automation Enhancement Fee has been reduced to zero. 

When will I receive my Forest Harvest Sediment Control Permit?

Forest Harvest Permits are issued within a week of application. However, they are mailed to the Montgomery Soil Conservation District for final plan approval.

Actual processing time may vary due to workload and the complexity of the site.


Inspection Information:

The permittee must notify their DPS Sediment Control Inspector listed on the Sediment Control Permit 48 hours before commencing any land disturbing activities to schedule a pre-construction meeting. Required inspections and testing are performed during the construction (see Sediment Control Inspections). 

Permit Extension Request:

Sediment control permits are valid for two years from the date of issuance. All Sediment Control permits may be extended for one year. Extension requests need to be made in writing to DPS Land Development Permit Processing Section. Refer to fees section for fees associated with extensions. Forest Harvest permits cannot be extended.

Other Agencies Involved:

Any activity involving lots that are over 40,000 square feet in size will have to make application to Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) in reference to Forest Conservation.

Any activity within the public rights-of-way will require a roadway grading permit from the Land Development Division of DPS. The Montgomery Soil Conservation District must approve all SC plans for Forest Harvest Activities.

Appeals Procedure:

Appeals of the issuance of any SC permit should be directed to Director of DPS within five work days from date of permit issuance.


Application Package
Sediment Control Permit Application Sediment Control Permit Application
Stormwater Concept Application Stormwater Concept Application
Fees and Taxes
Fees for Sediment Control Permit (See pages 4-7) Executive Regulation 8-15
Automation Enhancement Fee Regulation Automation Enhancement Fee
Credit Card Authorization Form Credit Card Authorization Form
General Bond Information Bond Information
Performance Bond Performance Bond Sample
Letter of Credit Letter of Credit Sample
Codes, Standards, Executive Regulations
Montgomery County Code - Chapter 19 Montgomery County Code
Guidelines, Memorandum of Understandings, Interpretations
Water Resource Section Standards, Guidelines and Helpful Information DPS Water Resources Section Guidelines
Stormwater Management Concept Information Stormwater Concept
Inspection Requirements
Sediment Control and Stormwater Management Inspections Sediment Control Inspections
Frequently Asked Questions
311 Web Portal: Enter key word "Sediment Control"
Online Permitting Status Information and Inspections
Online Permit Status Search DPS
Applicants with Contact ID Sign In Sign In
Call for More Information
In Montgomery County 311
Outside of Montgomery County 240-777-0311
Other Agencies to Contact
Other Agencies and Utilities to Contact Allegheny Power
  Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. (BG&E)
  Board of Appeals
  Maryland Department of the Environment
  Miss Utility
  Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection (MCDEP)
  MNCPPC: MC Atlas
  MNCPPC: Zoning
  Montgomery Soil Conservation District
  Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO)
  Washington Gas Light Co.